Home Page

Draft MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF SPARKFORD PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 2nd November 2015 AT 8.00 PM
IN SPARKFORD PARISH HALL

Present:
Mr T Tuck
(TT) – Chairman
Mr D Braithwaite(DB) - Vice Chair
Mr K Davis(KD)
Mr. P. Downton (PD)
Mr L Piper(LP)
In attendance ;- Mr M Lewis(ML)  County and District Councillor, Mr W. Wescott, Neighbourhood Watch, PCSO Thelma Mead
Mr B Wescott, Neighborhood Watch 
3 members of the public Messrs. I Holton, D Nurse and R Piper
The Chairman gave an opportunity for members of the public to address the Council.

Concern was expressed at loud music being played in the vicinity of Sparkford Hall at 4.30 a.m. The question was asked if their license permitted this at such an anti-social hour? PCSO Thelma Mead offered to investigate.
There was also a resident's complaint re noise from a firework display at Haynes Motor Museum late in the evening. PCSO Thelma Mead offered to follow this up.
A resident of Wolfester Terrace raised the issue of the noise from a faulty fan at McDonalds keeping residents awake at night. The chairman said that this matter would be raised under item 9a.

The Chairman opened the meeting at 8.15 pm.
The Chairman stated that sadly he had to report that Anne Voysey had resigned as Clerk to the Parish Council with immediate effect. The Chairman and Councillors expressed their appreciation of the work that Anne had undertaken for the parish as Clerk over the previous 12 months.
The Chairman also reported that Councillor Ken Flood had resigned; with immediate effect.

1 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE Mr V Mallett

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST  None

3 APPROVAL OF LAST MONTH'S (07.09.15) MINUTES
The minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record of last month's meeting.

4 CRIME/NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH
PCSO Thelma Mead said that due to the installation of a new IT system she was not able to give a breakdown of crime figures solely for Sparkford. Her beat covered south of the A303 between Wincanton and Ilchester and as far south as Milborne Port and Mudford. There had been a total of 174 calls to the Service Centre.

5 COUNTY/DISTRICT COUNCILLOR
ML reported that South Somerset District Council (SSDC) had agreed to enter into a 30-year lease for the whole of Westlands Sports and Leisure Centre in Yeovil. He also reported that SSDC were investigating the possibility of having a management arrangement with Sedgemoor District Council.
Somerset County Council was involved in Devolution proposals with councils throughout the SW.

6 HIGHWAYS

a) Small Improvement Scheme (SIS). A meeting on 08.09.15 at County Hall between Sara Davis (SCC Highways) TT, AV and ML. Sara would review the points made and would seek for the works to be completed once the planning permission for the Long Hazel Farm development has been completed. It was agreed that questions should be raised re. the unfinished work near the footpath on the Old Coal Yard site.
b) It was reported that a meeting regarding the deterioration of the road surface at the bridge/A539 Cary Road junction had been held with John Nicholson of SCC Highways who hoped to include the works in the 2016/17 maintenance budget.

7 PLANNING DECISIONS
a) 15/01632/COU
Use of land for the siting of 21 permanently occupied residential mobile homes. Long Hazel Caravan Park, High Street, Sparkford. BA22 7JH. Refused

8 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
a) 15/04174/FUL Proposed erection of a porch to rear elevation of annexe (retrospective), Orchard Barn Annexe, 2 Manor Close, Sparkford, Yeovil BA22 7JZ. Mr Alvin Webber. No objection by the Parish Council.
b) 15/04175/LBC Replacement of doors and windows on the rear elevation (application to regularize works already carried out. Orchard Barn, 2 Manor Close, Sparkford, Yeovil, Somerset. BA22 7JZ. No objection by the Parish Council.
c) 15/02834/FUL Erect dwelling, ancillary stables and B1 workshop. Land adjacent New Cottages, High Street, Sparkford. Mr and Mrs D Nurse. Following a question from CU. Braithwaite, the Chairman confirmed the key differences between this and the previous application for the same site. No objection by the Parish Council, 3 votes for 2 against.

9 MATTERS ARISING NOT INCLUDED IN OTHER SECTIONS
a) McDonalds update.
Following the issues raised in the open session it was agreed that Cllr K. Davis would take up the community concerns with McDonalds management in London. Not only relating to the fan but the apparent cessation of regular litter picks particularly local laybys and unloading of HGV's late at night. Residents were reminded that it was helpful if the dates and times of incidents could be recorded.
b) Railway Station and new Request stop for Sparkford. There was no update, although D Braithwaite said that residents had spoken to him,
preferring a better bus service rather than walking a mile to town centers
c) LP/VM meeting with Tim Cook (SSDC) It was agreed that a consultation event for the Parish should take place on the 20th or 25th November 2 — 7 p.m. in the Parish Hall. TT to book hall. Part funding from the Parish Council for the printing of the questionnaires was agreed
d) Flood Mitigation Scheme,
Church Road/ditch rear of garages. KD said that ED had completed an excellent job. It was agreed that payment for the work from Treetop Construction should be paid from the Parish accounts immediately if there was a sufficient balance rather than wait for the County Council BACS grant payment. TT to check the balance.
e) Email correspondence. It was agreed that all correspondence for councillors should be circulated via the Clerk or Chairman
f) Adoption of revised Code of Conduct. It was proposed by LP and seconded by KD that all Councillors having received a copy of the code that it should be adopted by the Parish Council. Agreed
g) Adoption of revised Standing Orders.
Councillors already having received a copy of the revised S. 0. 's it was proposed by DB and seconded by PD that the revised Standing Orders be adopted. Agreed
h) Telephone Box, Church Road. The Council were awaiting a response from BT
i) Purchase of laptop and other IT matters. It was agreed that discussion on this item be postponed until a new Clerk has been appointed
j) Carrier ditch from railway line, east towards Church Road. KD offered to contact the landowners to see if the ditches could be cleaned out. Diane Layzell of SSDC might be able to assist in determining the land ownership if needed.

10 FINANCIAL MATTERS
a) Payment of Clerk's Salary and expenses
was approved.
b) Payment of invoice 539 dated 15/10/15 from Treetops Construction for 2568 (inc. VAT-428.00) had already been agreed earlier in the meeting
c) Payment of invoice 695749 dated 12/10/15 from Glasdon for 147.60 (VAT.-24.60) was approved.
d) Confirmation that receipt of 175.00 from Sparkford Playing Field Association had been banked on 20/10/15
The Council was reminded that in the absence of a Clerk someone needs to be paying and reclaiming the VAT.

11 CORRESPONDENCE
The Citizens Advice Bureau had sent correspondence seeking a grant. Councillors were sympathetic to the request as the Council had donated in the past, but the decision was to abstain on this occasion.

12 QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FROM COUNCILLORS
It was agreed that the Council should advertise for a new Clerk via the Village magazine, the Somerset Association of Local Councils and Angie Cox the SSDC Democratic Services Manager. TT agreed to forward an advert to the above. It was agreed that TT would provide an advert to invite co-opted councillors via the Village magazine. PD as Editor, agreed to ensure that these appear in the December issue. It was agreed that the closing date should be 31st December.

It was agreed that Section 106 agreements would be followed up to see which services in the village might be funded. ML advised the Council that Neil Waddleton of (SSDC) was the Officer responsible for S106 monies.
Councillors were advised that the hedge on the Millennium Copse was overhanging the Lane. TT offered to speak to Justin Crawford on this matter.
Councillors were reminded that there was training for them via SALC on the 11th November
Bill Wescott informed the Council that villagers needed to be vigilant as there had been recent thefts of oil from tanks, particularly those alongside the road

13 ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDA  None

14 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Monday 7th December 2015, 8pm

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.18pm
ML/04.11.15

Home Page
Previous Minutes