Home Page

Draft MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF SPARKFORD PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 6th June  2016 AT 8.00 PM
IN SPARKFORD PARISH HALL

Present:
Mr L Piper -  Chairman
Mr T Tuck – Vice Chairman
Mr K Davis
Mrs A Roylance
Mr D Nurse,
Mr R Bell
Mrs L Davis - Clerk

In attendance ;- Mr M Lewis County and District Councillor Camelot Ward,
Also present: Mr R Gray and Mr S Flood, Sparkford Playing Field Association,
3 members of the public

After a short opportunity for members of the public to address the Council, the Chairman opened the meeting at 8.00 pm.

1 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE  Mr P Downton

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
RB – item 8b   DN – item 8d

3 APPROVAL OF ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MINUTES
a)
The Minutes of the meeting on 9May 2016 were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record of last month’s meeting.
b) TT requested that item 3 be referred back to Angela Cox at SSDC to seek clarification regarding a non-prejudicial interest as he would like to be included in future discussions about the Haynes development as a Parish Councillor.

4 CRIME   PCSO Thelma Mead was not present and no report had been sent.

5 COUNTY/DISTRICT COUNCILLOR  
ML reported that Devon and Somerset Superfast broadband had approved the second part to go out to tender but funding from South Somerset had not been approved.
There were no questions from Councillors.

6 HIGHWAYS  Nothing to report.
TT asked that the pothole outside of the Parish Hall car park be reported to Highways.

7 PLANNING DECISIONS  
a) 16/01059/COU Change of use of agricultural land and buildings to C1 and C3 use. Sparkford Hall, Sparkford Road, Sparkford. Application permitted with conditions.

8 PLANNING APPLICATIONS 
a) 16/01859/ADV 2 internally illuminated replacement MID pole signs. Hazelgrove Service Station, Wolfester Terrace, Sparkford. There were no objections raised to this application.
b) 16/02109/FUL Retention of timber lodge as a rural workers dwelling. Trackside Farm, Sparkford Road, Sparkford. RB left the room having declared an interest. This application had not been circulated to all Councillors yet so no discussion took place.
RB returned to the meeting.
c) 15/01632/COU Appeal reference APP/R3325/W/16/3144731. Use of land for siting 21 permanently occupied residential homes. Long Hazel Caravan Park, High Street, Sparkford. Mr Walton spoke regarding this appeal. He emphasised that this is not fresh housing, the application will enable the business to continue. He acknowledged that Parish Councillors have an issue with the sewers and the drainage but this is not a matter for Planners, it is the responsibility of Building Control and the Environment Agency to issue a site licence that he must comply with before the development happens. He is currently allowed up to 400 but will be reducing this to about 80. He confirmed that there will be no children requiring schooling resulting from the development as all residents will be over the age of 50. An off-site contribution to the Octagon Theatre and Westlands Sports Club has been agreed.
It was agreed that the new Councillors would look at application 15/01632/COU on SSDC’s website and confirm if they have any additional comments.
d) 16/02227/OUT Outline planning permission for residential development of up to three dwellings and the creation of a new vehicular access. Land OS 9032 Part, Old London Road, Sparkford. DN left the room having declared an interest.
This application had not been circulated to all Councillors yet so no discussion took place.

Mr Windsor spoke regarding this application. He believes there is no reason why three dwellings should be put on this site as there is no necessity for them and it is on the edge of open countryside. It is not a workers dwelling and would create infill. He advised that he has sent his objections to the Planning Authority. Mrs Rogers also advised that she has submitted comments to the Planning Authority.
DN returned to the room.

9 MATTERS ARISING NOT INCLUDED IN OTHER SECTIONS  
a) McDonalds The vehicular access is no better. RB suggested that improvements to the signage and maintenance of the garage forecourt may help. KD asked if the Parish Council were responsible for the traffic flow, the Chairman advised that we are not responsible but we have a duty go report Parishioners comments. It was agreed to contact Mr Sheppard about the issues and traffic management on site.
b) Village Information evening/Survey results No further update. LP to follow up with Tim Cooksuggested that it would be beneficial for the hall to be sited next to the playing field.
c) Surface water and fould drainage issues No further update. KD to follow up with the Environment Agency.
d) Proposal for SPC to drop the August meeting The Chairman advised of the possible impact if the August meeting did not take place. KD proposed and DN seconded that the meeting takes place and we continue to meet monthly throughout the year.
e) Sparkford Playing Field Mr R Gray informed those present that the Playing Field Committee had undertaken consultation with residents at the Village.
Information evening and identified the play equipment that the community would like to see at the playing field. Four quotes and designs have now been received and a preferred provider agreed by the Committee. The design layout plan was circulated to Parish Councillors.
A request was made for the Parish Council to contact Bath and Wells Diocese regarding the lease as there is a requirement for at least a 20 year lease before any funding or S106 contributions can be drawn down.
All Councillors supported the proposals and it was agreed to contact the Diocese to discuss extending the lease or the possible purchase of the playing field and also contact Diane Layzell at SSDC to discuss the legal requirements of the land.
It was agreed that the improvements to the Playing Field backs up the proposals for a footbridge across the railway line. RB agreed to contact Network Rail about possible funding opportunities for footbridges.

10 FINANCIAL MATTERS  
a) Payment to Stuart Talbot for Playday costs - 200 was approved
b)
Payment to SALC for Affiliation fees - 150.14 was approved
c) Payment to SALC for Good Councillor training - 50.00 was approved
d)
Payment to Mrs Voysey for Clerk’s Salary - 129.20 was approved, LP thanked Mrs Voysey for the work she had undertaken during her time as Parish Clerk
e) Quote for cost of joining Society of Local Council Clerks – it was agreed to look into this further and discuss again at the next meeting

11 CORRESPONDENCE  
The Clerk relayed a message received from Mrs Wake regarding an objection to planning application 16/01859/ADV. This would be passed onto the Planning Authority.
The Chairman reported that the Neighbourhood Watch have requested that the signatories be changed on the bank account so that the Parish Council have access to the funds. It was agreed that the money would be moved to a new separate Barclays account so that the funds could be used for the maintenance of the defibrillator.
The Chairman reported that he had received a phone call from Mr S Flood who has suggested that we consider a Parish Council Twitter account or Facebook page instead of a website. There would be no hosting fee for this and an administrator could tweet information and/or post messages as appropriate. It could be used to post agendas, minutes and other documents and also to advertise local events. It was agreed to look into how this could work.
RB suggested that we have a Twitter/Facebook account and a website.
TT advised that at the SALC Transparency training they mentioned a provider who does not charge. KD asked if three quotes would be required if there were costs associated to the setup and/or running of a website, also if there is a deadline for the funding that may be available. SALC should be able to provide further guidance.
Mr Flood offered to help with the Twitter/Facebook page if required.
The Chairman would contact Mr Littlewood about the Parish website linking to any future Parish Council website.

12 QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FROM COUNCILLORS
There were no questions or comments.

13 ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDA  
Website/SALC feedback
Village Survey results
Environment Agency update on Surface Water/drainage

14 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Monday 4 July 2016, 8pm, Sparkford Parish Hall.

15 OTHER BUSINESS
Mr Walton reported that there was giant parsley or giant hogweed growing on the footpath between the A359 and A303 that needs to be sprayed. The Clerk would contact SCC Countryside team and ask them to investigate.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.58pm

Home Page
Previous Minutes