Home Page

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF SPARKFORD PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 1st JULY  2013 AT 8.00 PM
IN SPARKFORD PARISH HALL

Present:
Mr J Crawford – Chairman
Mr T Tuck – Vice Chairman
Mr A Bourke
Mr D Braithwaite
Mr L Piper
Mr K Davis
Mr M Lewis –
County and District Councillor – Camelot Ward
Also present:
3 members of the public
In attendance: Mrs K Bourke – Clerk

After a short opportunity for members of the public to address the Council, the Chairman opened the meeting at 8.00 pm

1 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
There were none.

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST There were none.

3 APPROVAL OF LAST MONTH’S MINUTES
The Minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record of last month’s meeting.

4 CRIME/NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH
Mr Westcott reported there had been some vandalism which destroyed the concrete uprights for the stile leading onto the railway. There had been a temporary repair and the Clerk confirmed the stile would be repaired properly by Network Rail. Mr Westcott also reported that the speed sign in the High Street had been blown down in the wind and he had it in his possession. The NHW BBQ had been successful with over 400 raised, some of which would go towards the defibrillator. There had also been a bucket collection at the car wash at the garage to raise more funds for this.

The Clerk read out the report from PCSO Thelma Mead:
The recorded crimes for the month of June were theft from a motor vehicle x 1 and criminal damage x 3. Calls to the Force Service Centre were anti-social behaviour x 8, crime x 7, general x 6, public safety/welfare x 8 and transport/traffic x 12.

5 COUNTY/DISTRICT COUNCILLOR
Mr Lewis reported that the SSDC Enforcement Officer, Lynette Osment, had removed all the signs for the Sparkford Inn and Party in the Park. Although he could understand the Sparkford Inn signs being taken all the ones for the Party in the Park were advertising for a charity event. He was trying to find out why these ones had been removed.
Mr Bourke asked Mr Lewis if the Enforcement Officer knew that the Village Breakfast Committee had permissions from the County, Police and Environment Agency to place their signs. Mr Lewis said he would inform Lynette Osment about this.

He said the Flood Summit had been held recently for the whole of Somerset. The outcomes of these discussions are being considered and suggested the Parish Council go online at Somerset County Council website it will show what decisions are likely to take place regarding flooding. The Government are saying those who are affected by flooding should be able to get insurance. Decisions have to be made before September and there may be comments the Parish Council wish to comment on and make recommendations to the County Council or District Council.

6 HIGHWAYS
It was reported the 30mph sign was missing east of Cam Cottages. Complaints had been made about the noise emanating from the cattle grid at Hazlegrove School. The Clerk was asked to send a letter to the Bursar asking them to tighten the grid up to lessen the noise impact.

There was a problem with the sewer under Ainstey drive. Wessex Water had been in the field for the last 3 weeks and when they put a camera down they found that the drain under the railway line has failed. The Clerk was asked to obtain an update from Wessex Water.
It was also reported that the surface water manhole in the Manor Close footpath was a trip hazard – it is raised about 4" above the footpath and tree roots are thought to be the contributory factor to this. The Clerk will contact Highways.

7 LOCAL PLAN/AFFORDABLE HOUSING
Mr Tuck raised the issue of maintenance of borders etc at Bennett Close but was told that the residents should contact Yarlington about this.

8 PLANNING DECISIONS  None had been received.

PLANNING APPLICATIONS
a) 13/02558/AGN – Erection of an agricultural building for the storage of farm implements. Little Weston Farm, Little Weston Road, Sparkford. Mr Jonathan King Brain.

b) 13/02557/AGN – Extension to existing agricultural building for the storage of hay/straw and farm machinery. Little Weston Farm, Little Weston Road, Sparkford. Mr Jonathan King Brain.
Although these two Agricultural Notifications had been on the South Somerset District Council website the Clerk had not actually received them. The Clerk will send a link to Councillors so they can view the applications online. Mr Lewis said we should pay particular attention to the height of the agricultural building to avoid the problem that arose in Marston

Mr Crawford thanked Mrs Sutton for attending the meeting and requesting the Council to assist in obtaining conservation status for Little Weston. He explained a little about conservation areas and which local villages had achieved this status. He asked Councillors if they wished to put this as a future agenda item. Mr Lewis said he would invite Tim Cook along to address the Parish Council explaining more about this subject which would also allow more parishioners from Little Weston to attend the meeting. This was agreed and Mr Lewis would let the Clerk know what he had arranged with Tim Cook.

Mr Crawford said he had received an email from Mr & Mrs Walton who are considering submitting a planning application for full residential use of six of the pine lodges. The six plots currently do not have lodges on them. It was agreed this could not be discussed until an application came through. Mr Lewis suggested the Parish Council conduct a site visit once the application arrived. Mr Crawford reported that Mr Walton had said we would be welcome to visit at any time.

10 MATTERS ARISING
a) McDonalds
The Clerk said that Emma Treloar was on holiday and unable to attend the meeting.
Mr Tuck complained that the extra McDonalds bins needed to be emptied more often as on a Monday they were full and overflowing. Mr Lewis said that SSDC emptied the bins on a Thursday and it was worth asking Emma to contact Chris Cooper at Streetscenes with a view to possible changing the collection day.

11 PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS
a) Clerk’s Salary & Expenses

The Clerk’s salary of 199.46 and expenses of 7.50 were approved.

12 CORRESPONDENCE    None had been received.

13 ANY OTHER BUSINESS   There was no other business.

14 QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FROM COUNCILLORS
Mr Crawford said we needed to put the co-option of a new Parish Councillor to replace Mrs Goodland on the August agenda. This was agreed.

15 ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDA

1. Conservation Area
2. Co-option of a new Parish Councillor
3. Specific roles for individual Councillors

16 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Monday, 5th August 2013.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.50 pm.

KB/02.07.13

Home Page
Previous Minutes