Home Page

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF SPARKFORD PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 5th AUGUST 2013 AT 8.00 PM
IN SPARKFORD PARISH HALL

Present:
Mr J Crawford – Chairman
Mr T Tuck – Vice Chairman
Mr A Bourke
Mr D Braithwaite
Mr L Piper
Mr K Davis
Mr M Lewis –
County and District Councillor – Camelot Ward
Also present:
6 members of the public
In attendance: Mrs K Bourke – Clerk

After a short opportunity for members of the public to address the Council, the Chairman opened the meeting at 8.00 pm

1 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies were received from Mr Piper.

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Mr Crawford declared a personal interest in Item 9(b) as he knows the applicant.

3 APPROVAL OF LAST MONTH’S MINUTES
The Minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record of last month’s meeting.

4 CRIME/NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH
Mr Westcott said it had been a quiet period. He asked if the Parish Council could approach the Police to have one of their speed watch units in the village. Councillors agreed to this. He reported that the defibrillator fund was progressing and they had put in a request for two units from the British Heart Foundation. He hopes one would be in situ by Christmas at the Spar. The other one, if granted, would be situated in the phone box in Weston Bampfylde. Priority will be given to the one in Sparkford.

Due to shift patterns PCSO Mead was unable to attend the meeting and the Clerk read out her report. Recorded Crime for July was 3 x non-dwelling burglary, 1 x violence against a person, 1 x theft from a motor vehicle, 1 x criminal damage. Calls to the Force Services Centre were 6 x anti-social behaviour, 7 x crime, 2 x general, 12 x public safety/welfare and 8 x transport/traffic. During July she had received a call about parking on the pavement in Church Road and anti-social behaviour in the early hours coming from the same address as the owners of the vehicles. She has now spoken to the landlords of the property and will speak to the tenants. Local residents had been pleased with the outcome.

Regular patrols of Sparkford Copses have been carried out and she had received another report of trees being cut down. If anyone sees any suspicious vehicles in the area of the Copses please report it on 101.
There have also been reports of anti-social behaviour at McDonald’s and noise. This also needs to be reported to 101 so the incidents can be logged.

Mr Lewis reported there was a theft from a business in Sparkford a couple of weeks ago where cash was taken, broken doors/windows and burglar alarm cut. There had also been a fatality in Galhampton on 27th July. He has asked Highways for a speed reduction from Sparkford to Galhampton of 50mph. Motorbikes tend to use this piece of road as a race track and something needs to be done.

Mr Crawford said an empty property in Weston Bampfylde had been broken into and a door removed. Ringmaster had also indicated there had been shed burglaries in the area and to make sure everything had been locked away.
Mr Braithwaite said it would be nice to see the presence of Police in the village now and again.

5 COUNTY/DISTRICT COUNCILLOR
Mr Lewis reported that last Monday the District Council decided to suspend their Local Development Plan because the Planning Inspector has found a number of instances in the plan that are not sustainable; 3 areas include the urban extension in East Coker, location of the extension at Ilminster in the wrong place and lack of employment land around the market towns in particular and not sufficient detail in the plan as to where this employment land will be. The Planning Inspector asked for these issues to be looked at before the Plan is re-submitted in 6/8 months. The existing plan will remain in force for the time being.

Mr Braithwaite personally thanked Mr Lewis on behalf of the Playing Field Association for his role in obtaining a grant for the repair of the tractor.
Mr Crawford asked if the District Council still owned any local authority housing. Mr Lewis said all properties had been sold to South Somerset Homes with 50 million received from central Government. There are pieces of land attached to properties they still own relating to parking, green areas etc. The County Council owns a number of properties but not housing. There is a partnership arrangement between the District and County Councils and registered social housing authorities.

6 HIGHWAYS
Mr Braithwaite said there was a problem with 40/50 tonne trucks travelling up and down Church Road. They always cut the corner by the Church. The Clerk was requested to report this to Highways and ask if a weight limit sign could be put at each end of the road.
It was reported that the trees at Manor Farm were again overhanging the footpath.

Mr Tuck asked if there was any news about the replacement 30mph speed limit sign by Cam Cottages and also the Advance Warning Sign opposite Haynes. The Clerk will contact Highways again about these issues.

7 LOCAL PLAN/AFFORDABLE HOUSING   There was nothing to report.

8 PLANNING DECISIONS
Three planning decisions had been received.
a) 13/02558/AGN – Erection of an agricultural building for the storage of farm implements. Little Weston Farm, Little Weston Road, Sparkford, BA22 7HP. Mr Jonathan King Brain
. Prior Approval not required
b) 13/02557/AGN – Extension to existing agricultural building for the storage of hay/straw and farm machinery. Little Weston Farm, Little Weston Road, Sparkford, BA22 7HP. Mr Jonathan King Brain. Prior Approval not required
c) 13/02079/COL – Application for a certificate of lawful development for an existing single storey extension to the rear corner of the existing 2 storey building. The New House, Ainstey Drive, Sparkford, BA22 7JT. Mr Brian Belton.  Granted.

9 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
Two planning applications had been received:
a) 13/02466/FUL - Construction of children’s wooden tree house with ladder and slide around lime tree situation in back garden. 6 Ainstey Drive Sparkford BA22 7JT. Miss Nicola Brine.  No objections had been received on this planning application and SSDC notified.
b) 13/02807/FUL - Erection of a new calf house. Land at Middle Farm, Weston Bampfylde Road, Weston Bampfylde. Mr Michael Bishop.
Near neighbours from three properties had already spoken at the beginning of the meeting. Their concerns are summarised here. Whilst in principal they did not object to the Calf House there were serious issues regarding screening and tidying up the area. There are 5 barns already on site which appear not to be utilised and a question arose as to why a new footprint was being requested. There will be problems with noise as when the cows and calves are separated they will be in adjacent areas. In the 1999 plans which were agreed by SSDC a condition was that a line of trees and hedges be planted. This appears not to have been done.

Mr Braithwaite said these were all valid points and the only screening was some scruffy bushes and not mature hedges and trees. Noise screening should be planted before any building commences. Mr Bourke also said the Parish Council should support the parishioners at least on visual screening. He suggested that a bund would minimise the noise issue.  The Clerk will send all these comments to SSDC.

10 MATTERS ARISING
a) McDonalds
Unfortunately Emma Treloar was unable to attend the meeting. Mr Bourke had received a telephone call from Mr Phillips of Wolfester Terrace complaining about noise from motorbikes and people last Tuesday. There were also problems still with overnight parking.
The hedge adjacent to Wolfester Terrace needs topping and trimming now to thicken it up which would help with the noise issue. Autumn is the time to carry this work out. The Clerk will contact Emma about these issues.
b) Co-option of new Parish Councillor
Mr Peter Downton was the only applicant to apply to fill the vacancy left by Mrs Goodland. After a short discussion and written ballot Mr Downton was co-opted to the Council.
c) Specific roles for individual Councillors
This matter was brought forward from last month’s meeting. Mr Crawford said a lot of Councils did have Councillors looking after specific roles in the Parish. A short discussion ensued with Councillors agreed it was a good idea in theory. It was agreed to take this forward to September’s meeting with a list of roles and then we could see who could be assigned to the various tasks.

11 PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS
a) Clerk’s Salary & Expenses
The Clerk’s salary of 197.15 and expenses of 7.50 were approved.

12 CORRESPONDENCE   No correspondence had been received.

13 ANY OTHER BUSINESS
a) Holiday Notification
The Clerk requested that Councillors notify her when they will be taking holidays so she can cross their name off the planning circulation list.
b) Good Councillor Guide & Local Administration edition
It was agreed that the Clerk should order individual copies of the new Good Councillor Guide. The Clerk said that there was a new edition of Arnold Baker – on Local Administration which SALC could get at a 20% discount. The discounted cost was 60 but the Clerk pointed out that the copy she had was nearly 20 years old. It was agreed to order a copy.
Mr Lewis offered to pick up the Good Councillor Guides on Wednesday when he went in to Taunton.

14 QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FROM COUNCILLORS     There were no further questions.

15 ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDA
a) Conservation Area for Little Weston.
b) List of roles for Councillors.

16 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Monday, 2nd September 2013.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.10pm

KB/06.08.13

Home Page
Previous Minutes