Home Page

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF SPARKFORD PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER 2013 AT 8.00 PM
IN SPARKFORD PARISH HALL

Present:
Mr J Crawford – Chairman
Mr T Tuck – Vice Chairman
Mr A Bourke
Mr D Braithwaite
Mr L Piper
Mr K Davis
Mr P Downton
Mr M Lewis – County and District Councillor – Camelot Ward

Also present:
2 members of the public
In attendance: Mrs K Bourke – Clerk

After a short opportunity for members of the public to address the Council, the Chairman opened the meeting at 8.00 pm

1 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE   There were none.

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
David Braithwaite, Tony Bourke and Kevin Davis declared an interest in item 11(b).

3 APPROVAL OF LAST MONTH’S MINUTES
The Minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record of last month’s meeting.

4 CRIME/NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH
Mr Westcott reported there had been one alarm call out but it had been the owner. He had received a telephone call from someone interested in taking over the paperwork for the Speedwatch. 600 has been promised for the defibrillator and they were aiming to purchase two.

5 COUNTY/DISTRICT COUNCILLOR
Mr Lewis apologised for the non-collection of recycling on Saturday. A number of people emailed SWP to register the fact it hadn’t been collected. Seemingly Sparkford, North Cadbury and Babcary were affected. With the A371 closed the dynamics of routing had changed. The Clerk had also contacted SWP and was told the non-collection was due to lack of staff.
Mr Lewis reported that SSDC had a good store of salt at the moment.

6 HIGHWAYS
The Clerk had received a SID report but it only covered 10 days in August. The median was 34mph with 85% percentile at 40mph with a total count of 459 vehicles.
Mr Davis reported he had the road sign for Orchard Close which had been removed/damaged. He will let the Clerk have it and she will contact Highways.
It was reported that brambles were overgrown on the footpath at the junction of the High Street and Wolfester terrace and continued up to Mrs Wakes’ house. The Clerk will report this.

7 LOCAL PLAN/AFFORDABLE HOUSING
At the Clerk’s suggestion it was agreed to remove this item from the Agenda.

8 PLANNING DECISIONS
There had been one planning decision received:
13/02466/FUL – construction of a children’s wooden tree house with ladder and slide around lime tree situated in back garden of 6 Ainstey Drive. GRANTED.

9 PLANNING APPLICATIONS   None had been received.

10 MATTERS ARISING
a) McDonalds
The Clerk said that Emma Treloar was unable to attend the meeting due to personal circumstances. She is arranging for a contractor to cut the hedges. Both she and Ben were continuing the trash walks as often as possible and is hoping to arrange another litter pick around the local area again. She is contacting Thelma with updates on lorry registrations.

Mr Lewis said some parishioners had contacted him asking for 10mph speed limit signs at the entrance to the Spar/garage and McDonalds to try to slow down traffic on site. They were concerned for pedestrians’ safety due to the substantial speeds being done within the area. The Clerk will report this.

b) Conservation Area for Little Weston
This had been postponed as Tim Cook was unable to attend, but would go ahead at the next meeting.

c) List of roles for Councillors
After some discussion it was decided not to allocate specific roles to the Councillors but continue with the Clerk dealing with matters arising.

d) Sparkford Commemorative Stone
Mr Crawford and the Clerk circulated photographs they had taken of the blue lias stone when they visited the stonemason a few days previously. There was also a photograph of the exact location where it was going to be installed. Mr Tuck asked if the area around the stone could be mown as an accepted area by South Somerset District Council. It was then suggested that an area around the stone was dug out, membrane laid and granite chippings laid down. This would obviously keep the area tidy. It was agreed by all that this was a good idea.

e) Request from Sparkford Cricket Club
Following their request to cut down the lime trees on the cricket field, they then came back asking for help with maintenance on the field – clearing ditches, hedge cutting, mowing the outfield on a regular basis and strimming the banks of the ground.
A discussion took place and it was agreed that the Clerk contact Phil Poulton, the Council Arborist, requesting a visit to check the condition of the trees and to see if any work needed carrying out on them.

It was mentioned that the lease issued on 25th December 1962 for a period of 21 years had expired in 1983 and that perhaps the Parish Council need to look into this and getting legal advice on issuing a new lease.
It was also mentioned that the Cricket Club could possibly write to the Parish Council requesting a maintenance grant. The Clerk was asked to contact them advising that the Parish Council did not have any staff to carry out the work requested, although Mr Braithwaite had mown the field some two years ago at his own cost.
The matter of the lease will be put on the Agenda for discussion at the September meeting.

11 PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS
a) Clerk’s Salary & Expenses
The Clerk’s salary of 233.27 and expenses of 7.50 were approved.
b) Annual grant for Sparkford Playing Field Association
The request for 100 was agreed.
c) Annual grant for Sparkford Copse Trust
The request for 100 was agreed.
d) Payment for Local Council Administration book
Payment of 60 for this book was agreed.

12 CORRESPONDENCE   None had been received.

13 ANY OTHER BUSINESS    There was none.

14 QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FROM COUNCILLORS
Mr Lewis reported that the planning application for the new calf house in Weston Bampfylde would be before the Area East Committee at the meeting on 11th September following representations from members of the local community.
It was reported that there is a pothole outside the entrance to Haynes on the High Street and also at the junction of The Avenue and Cary Road. The Clerk will report these.
The village Fun Day is being held on 15th September in the Sparkford Playing Fields.

15 ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDA
a) Conservation Area for Little Weston
b) Cricket Club lease

16 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Monday, 7th October 2013
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.45pm.

KB/03/09/13

Home Page
Previous Minutes