Home Page

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF SPARKFORD PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 2nd DECEMBER 2013 AT 8.00 PM
IN SPARKFORD PARISH HALL

Present:
Mr J Crawford – Chairman
Mr T Tuck – Vice Chairman
Mr A Bourke
Mr D Braithwaite
Mr L Piper
Mr K Davis
Mr M Lewis – County and District Councillor – Camelot Ward
Also present:
2 members of the public
In attendance: Mrs K Bourke – Clerk

After a short opportunity for members of the public to address the Council, the Chairman opened the meeting at 8.00 pm

1 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies had been received from Peter Downton.

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Mr Davis declared an interest in item 9 (b).

3 APPROVAL OF LAST MONTH’S MINUTES
The Minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record of last month’s meeting.

4 CRIME/NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH
Mr Westcott reported that it had been a very quiet month. There would be an official ceremony handing over the defibrillator to Hazelgrove Services at 2pm on Tuesday, 3rd December.

5 COUNTY/DISTRICT COUNCILLOR
Mr Lewis reported that both the District and County Councils are going through the budget process. We will know more in January and February as to what the future services may be. They are seeking to hold front line services where possible. He said the A371 is open today as promised. He has talked to both County and Highways about the poor notice regarding the resurfacing work on the A303.

Mr Crawford said that NALC is concerned about the Councils receiving the grant from Government but not passing it on. Mr Lewis said they would follow the instructions given by the Government.

6 HIGHWAYS
a) The Clerk said she had not heard anything about the Minor Improvement Scheme. It was agreed to keep this on the Agenda.

b) The Clerk read out a letter from Streetscenes regarding the emptying of litter/dog bins. One condition stated that they were not going to collect litter from bins on private land. We have a bin in the Playing Field which Streetscenes hold the keys for and they have been emptying it. The Clerk was asked to contact Streetscenes to confirm the existing agreement still stands.

The Clerk reported that the A303 from Hazelgrove to Podimore is being resurfaced. The work will take 19 nights and commences on 2nd December. The road will be closed from 8.00pm til 6.00am Monday to Friday.

Mr Braithwaite asked Mr Crawford if any landscaping work had been carried out on the site of the new calf house in Weston Bampfylde. Mr Crawford is keeping an eye on this and said no works had been undertaken as yet.

7 PLANNING DECISIONS
One planning decision had been received:
13/04158/TPO – Application to fell a lime coppice in the rear garden of 5 Ainstey Drive and remove minor overhanging lower limbs of one lime tree. Mr M Wright, 5 Ainstey Drive, Sparkford. APPROVED with conditions.

8 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
Two planning applications had been received:
13/04762/LBC – Internal alterations and the removal of cement render from the front façade (partly implemented). Mr C Eykyn, Little Weston House, Little Weston Road, Sparkford.
13/04747/COL – Application for a Lawful Development Certificate for the existing use of land as residential garden and works to form pond. Higher Farmhouse, Higher Farm Lane, Weston Bampfylde. Mr & Mrs J Weatherhead.

9 MATTERS ARISING
a) McDonalds
It was reported that there is litter everywhere. The litter bin on the Barrow Road at the station entrance has been trashed. The Clerk will report this to McDonalds.

b) Precept
Mr Bourke said that despite two failed fundraising events the Playing Field Committee would not be requesting further funds.
Mr Braithwaite asked if the Parish Council could have sight of the Village Hall accounts up to the present. There had also been a suggestion of writing a business plan. Mr Tuck said there were plans to resurface the car park and sort out the drains in front but these were on hold. Mr Crawford asked if this means they will not be making any capital plan requests. Mr Tuck confirmed they wouldn’t be making any requests. Mr Crawford asked to see a copy of the accounts at the next meeting so we can see how much money is in the kitty.

The Clerk said she had received requests from the Somerset Community Justice Panel, South Somerset Citizens Advice Bureau and the 3rd Sparkford Scout Group. The Clerk was asked who normally receives funding on an annual basis. She confirmed that grants were paid to The Sparkford Copse, Sparkford Playing Field, Village Hall, Sparkford PCC, Weston Bampfylde PCC and South Somerset CAB. She was asked to put the request from the Scouts as a separate item on next months Agenda.

10 PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS
a) Clerk’s Salary & Expenses
The Clerk’s salary of £201.46 and expenses of £7.50 were approved.

b) Stile & Dog Gate
The Clerk circulated a photo of the new stile and dog gate installed at the cricket ground. Mr Crawford had received an email of thanks from the Cricket Club. The Clerk had received an invoice for the work for £120, which was cheaper than the original quotation. This had previously been sanctioned.

11 CORRESPONDENCE      No correspondence had been received.

12 ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Mr Braithwaite asked about the Section 106 on the Old Coal Yard development. Mr Lewis said the amount was £33,000 with some being held for leisure and recreation. The Clerk will contact Neil Waddleton regarding the trigger points of the Section 106 and ask what are the elements and if we could have a copy of it. It was also reported that work had begun on the site and the Clerk said that two trees by the advanced warning sign had been cut down. She didn’t know if Highways had done this, as they were due to prune the overgrowth back, or if the builders had removed them. She confirmed she would contact Phil Poulton to check on this and the TPO’s on the lime trees on site.

It was also asked how much contaminated soil had to be removed and if it was the 20 feet that was mentioned, what would happen to the roots of the trees. The Clerk will check the conditions. Mr Tuck asked if they were going to use the sewer outfall that was installed. The Clerk will also check on the removal of contaminated soil.

13 QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FROM COUNCILLORS
Mr Bourke referred to the proposed Main Modification Consultation from SSDC and asked if it would have implications on Sparkford. It was agreed he would go to one of the drop in sessions to find out more information to bring back to the Parish Council.

The Clerk was asked if she had contacted Hazelgrove School regarding the noise from their cattle grid. The Clerk had emailed the Bursar over the summer but had not received any response. As this was an ongoing problem she was asked to telephone the school.

Mr Lewis wished everyone a Happy Christmas and a healthy New Year. Mr Crawford responded with a similar response on behalf of the Parish Council.

14 ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDA
a) Precept
b) Scouts request for funding
c) Minor Improvement Scheme

15 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Monday, 6th January 2014.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.00 pm.

KB/03.12.13

Home Page
Previous Minutes