Home Page

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF SPARKFORD PARISH COUNCIL
HELD ON MONDAY 1st June 2015 AT 8.00 PM
IN SPARKFORD PARISH HALL

Present:
Mr T Tuck –  Chairman
Mr L Piper
Mr P Downton.
Mr K Davis
Mr V Mallett
Also present: 2 members of the public
In attendance: Mrs A Voysey – Clerk

After a short opportunity for members of the public to address the Council, the Chairman opened the meeting at 8.00 pm.

1 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Mr M Lewis – given at the April meeting.
Mr Braithwaite

2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST  None

3 APPROVAL OF LAST MONTH’S MINUTES
The Minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and accurate record of last month’s meeting.
9 a) Co-option of 2 Parish Councillors
It was decided that item 9 a) of the agenda be taken at this point in the proceedings. 4 people, Mr V Mallett Mr K Flood, Mr Christopher Hill and Mrs A Roylance had put their names forward to be considered for co-option on to the Parish Council.
Mr V Mallett proposed by LP, seconded by KD. Mrs A Roylance proposed by PD, seconded by TT. Mr K Flood proposed by KD, seconded by PL. Mr C Hill proposed by PD, not seconded. Voting then took place.

First vacancy filled, by majority, by V Mallett. Second vacancy filled, by majority, by K Flood.
VM and KF signed acceptance of office as member of the Parish Council. Remaining candidates to be thanked for their interest and willingness to stand.

4 CRIME/NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH
Thelma Mead gave her apologies and her report was read out. Calls to the Force Service Centre in May were; 16 road related incidents, 3 suspicious, 1 concern for welfare, 1 antisocial behaviour, 1 assault.

Mr Wescott reported that there were on going traffic problems.
The Clerk reported that she had received correspondence from Mr Crawford in which he stated that he had re-attached the dog waste bin at the electricity sub-station and had reshaped the damaged litter bin situated at the parking area above the railway bridge on Sparkford Hill Lane. All agreed a note of thanks to be passed to Mr Crawford.

5 COUNTY/DISTRICT COUNCILLOR    None

6 HIGHWAYS
               a)
Small Improvement Scheme. The road closure notice for the High Street had been received prior to work being carried out. The latest start date given is the 15th June 2015. Councillors commented that no notice had been given to the businesses (Pipers, Sparkford Storage, Sparkford Inn, Haynes, Jason Smith, Long Hazel Caravan Park) or indeed residents directly affected by the road closure. Clerk to contact Road Closure Team

7 PLANNING DECISIONS
               a) 15/01066/FUL Change of use part of field to garden, double garage to replace single, single storey extension to bungalow. Greystones, Weston Bampfylde Rd, Weston Bampfylde, BA22 7HT. Mr and Mrs D Birch. GRANTED.

8 PLANNING APPLICATIONS
              a)Application to vary condition 2 (approved plans) of planning approval 12/01836/FUL by substitution of revised plans 6502-01to suit revised scheme. The Round House, High Street, Sparkford, Yeovil, BA22 7JH. Mr & Mrs P Little. Plans were circulated and comments made. It was agreed that the majority raised no objection. The Clerk to write to SSDC accordingly.

9 MATTERS ARISING

b) MacDonalds TT, LP and Clerk to attend meeting as invited by MacDonalds manager 6.30pm 2nd June 2015. Clerk to confirm with Manager.
c) Flood Mitigation Scheme.The suggestion that a flood mitigation scheme be investigated was discussed. In 2014 there had been communication with Wessex Water and a drain investigation was to have been carried out but there has been no feedback since. Clerk search for and trace correspondence with a view to following this up.
Also to be considered is the clearance of the ditch behind the block of garages off Church Road and which runs from the field gate/footpath stile to the River Cam and which would help alleviate flooding at the point where access to the garages meets Church Road. Also the clearance of the ditch behind 4 Manor Close. TT to give names andClerk to write to land owners
d) Sparkford Cricket Club dog waste and grant request Following the April PC meeting the Chair of Sparkford Cricket Club, Mr Ogborne was invited to attend the meeting and was thanked for all the work and improvements at the cricket ground site. At the same time the Parish Council received a request for a grant for the refurbishment of the kitchen at the Cricket ground pavilion.
Mr Ogborne was unable to attend but Mr Dennett (Vice Captain of the 1st XI) did in his place. Mr Dennett gave an update of the Club and its activities notably having invested in ground equipment, a roller, lawn mower, covers, site screen and sprinkler system to assist in keeping the ground in good condition for the next 10 years. He then explained that in August last year SSDC had carried out a food hygene inspection and that the report found the pavilion kitchen not up to the required standard to provide match teas. To redress this problem the Club is seeking to install an appropriate kitchen and is seeking grants form SSDC and Clarks Foundation towards the costs of 5,230. As a key part of this process the Parish Council is asked to make a grant of approximately 10% towards the project or 500 in this case. The cricket club will be celebrating its 125th anniversary in 2016 and a SSDC representative noted that the Club has an interesting heritage e.g Somerset Cricket Club Benefit matches being held at and against Sparkford Cricket Club.

Mr Dennett was asked what plans there were for the future development of the pavilion after the kitchen was installed. He replied that there had been some talk of creating a much larger pavilion but realistically it was likely that the club would extend it to provide better facilities given that equipment used by players today had grown in quantity and size. He was also able to supply a copy of the audited accounts of the club. When asked when the project was likely to occur Mr Dennett envisaged the end of the playing season and before the ground became too soft to cross without damaging the outfield. All agreed the grant application to be put on the agenda for the next meeting.

With regard to the dog waste problem at the ground it was agreed that ways of assisting further would be considered. The dog warden to be asked to attend the next meeting and ML to be asked for his thoughts.

e) Large Vehicles at speed, Church Road The clerk reported that both Palletline and Gregorys had been contacted regarding their vehicles using Church Road. Both had passed on the message to the relevant depots.

10 PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS
a)
The Clerk’s salary of 310.07 was approved.
b) The decision regarding the grant to the Parish Hall Committee for the car parking area resurface was deferred to the next meeting, to allow for further advice from SALC on the VAT to be sought.

11 CORRESPONDENCE   None

12 QUESTIONS/COMMENTS FROM COUNCILLORS
VM made a request for a map of the Parish including the boundaries possibly from SSDC.

13 ITEMS FOR FUTURE AGENDA
a)
Parish Hall Parking Area Surface Grant
b) Cricket Club Kitchen Grant request.

14 DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Monday, 6th July 2015 at 8pm

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.44pm
AV/06/15

Home Page
Previous Minutes