This aerial view of Sparkford shows the Church of St Mary Magdelene in
the foreground with the A303 Bypass at the top of the picture. The large building
alongside the railway line is Haynes Publishers, home of the renown car manuals.
Sparkfords Cricket Ground can be seen just below the A303 overpass (top right).
Our current population is around 500, mostly living along the old A303
and around Church Road. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book as
Spercheforde, being part of the lands of Walter de Dowai, which was originally located on
the land south of the Church, in the field that used to be called Lickhill, bordering the
River Cam. There are still signs of old earthworks and foundations in this field. The
first reference to the nearby church of St Mary Magdelene is that the first Rector was
appointed in 1297. This settlement continued as a small village around the church and
along the nearby Turnpike road. The Sparkford Inn and Posting House which dates back to
the 15th century was a prominent building on the old London to Exeter road. The
Sparkford Inn continues as a popular Hostelry to this day.
Sparkford's long-standing association with the London - Exeter highway has been continued
with the recent arrival of a new McDonalds, on the site of the old Wakes Garage by the
Sparkford is the home of Haynes Publishers - known worldwide for its car manuals and
the Haynes Motor Museum of Classic and Veteran Cars. The Museum is often used as a start
or finish point for car and motorcycle events and hosting visits by clubs. It has its own
video cinema, cafe and bookshop.